Monday, September 28, 2009

Walking with the Devil

As my comrades have mentioned in previous posts, we went on the Three Village Walk yesterday. It was roughly 4 1/2 miles, up and down hills, through pastures, over stiles and fences. Most of the team were walking dogs at least at some point. The dog loaned out to me, named Devil (or "Dev" for short) was s Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Dev had his benefits and disadvantages. He was constantly pulling me ahead, which was wonderful when we were going uphill because I could put forth less effort myself. It proved problematic going downhill. At one point we were going downhill and Dev leapt forward over some uneven ground, pulling me forward and causing me to fall and roll down the hill a little. I can't help but laugh when I see someone fall (I know. It's terrible), and I laughed at myself as I was falling. I got up, brushed myself off, and carried on, knowing I'd probably pay for that later. After two hours of dogding tractors and getting dirty looks from cattle, we arrived back at our starting point for tea and treats.
Later that night we went to the pub and heard Breathing Space play. The singer's voice was lovely, and I recognized all the covers they did. With just the singer and the keyboardist there, the evening had a decidedly light rock feel to it, but it was nice nonetheless. I had two, yes, count 'em TWO ciders. The first of which was on an empty stomach and I could feel it almost right away. I always joke that my tolerance for alcohol is the only sense in which I'm a lightweight :) All in all, it was a good day and a good night out.
I really appreciate that this club hasn't pushed us very hard. We've had an opportunity to take a step back and appreciate what we've seen and done so far, yet still met and talked with enough people that I feel we've left our mark here. Time to get up and get started today, because we're changing groups again. I'm pretty achey from the fall, but nothing permanently damaged, thank goodness.
Amy