Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hartlepool - Update by Vickey


This morning was quite different from the way each team member normally spends a Sunday. We went on a four or so mile walk through woods and pastures - mostly pastures - for a benefit called Three Villages Walk, which is designed to raise money for assistance dogs.

I got to be up close and personal, or at least more so than normal, with cows and horses. We climbed fences, jumped ditches, and passed dogs over obstacles along the way. It was pretty. It was fun. And it was definitely different. At the end we were met with shortbread, homemade by John, one of the Rotarians, cupcakes, cheese scones, fruit scones, and chocolate, along with the requisite tea, coffee, and orange juice, which is quite popular at all meals, not just breakfast.

Tonight, we're off to a pub with live music. It's not supposed to be pop, but something a little more "folk." I've promised to try a particular ale...beer...lager, hmmmm, I don't remember now, but I'll try it. I've cautioned Colin, the person who has gained this commitment from me, that I don't drink beer and that without a picture, my husband won't even believe it!

It'll be the last event during a full day before we're off for another "handover." We'll see our hosts tomorrow and have at least one thing planned, if I remember correctly, and then we'll not see them again unless they come to conference or the final farewell dinner. We're all taking notes trying to keep up with everything!

Vickey