Sunday, September 20, 2009

My first day

It's been a loooong day. Tim covered most of the high points we all shared as a team, so I'll tell you a bit about my experiences with my host family. They are lovely people with many and varied interests, such as gardening (as is typical for the English, from what I understand), stamp collecting, rugby, cooking, and Top Gear, which I'm also a fan of. And they have a comical little white and grey Pekingese named Mabel, who is apparently now my best friend.
I mentioned to one of the Rotarians that I wanted to see a cricket match, and then he told me that a proper test match lasts FIVE DAYS. Even a short match still takes eight hours! I told him never mind :/
My host offered me a flapjack at tea this evening. I thought this was rather odd, and seeing as how I wasn't really in the mood for pancakes I turned him down. As he went to the kitchen to get the flapjacks, his wife explained to me that it's an oat and molasses cookie with raisins or chocolate chips. I explained to her what I thought he meant by flapjack and we had a laugh. I have to say, their version of flapjacks is pretty yummy.
Time for bed!
Amy