Monday, October 19, 2009

Snap Back to Reality

Back to work this morning. Uuuurggghh.
Since I arrived back in New York late Saturday evening, I've had the feeling like I've come back to something that isn't quite my life. I've almost felt like I've been standing a little outside of myself and watching things from the side. It's taken a little time for my brain to start to adjust back to everyday life after having spent a month being taken care of by other people and being told where to go and what to do. For the first time in four weeks, I'm again making decisions with more significance than what to have for pudding.
It's great to sleep in my own bed again.
I've unpacked and sorted some of the things I brought back with me. Much like the days before we left on this adventure, the upcoming days are full with lots of little tasks as I transition back to "the real world". I've got laundry to do (I've missed using a dryer as well. It's a little nerve-wracking for me to walk around the house and see my knickers drying on every available heater). I've got to transition back into American English to avoid funny looks from my friends and co-workers. Knickers? Pudding? Back to undies and dessert. It's time to sort and deliver the gifts I've gotten for friends and loved-ones. Pictures to process. Thank You cards to write. Oh yeah, and we've got to write up our reports for RI and work on our return presentations.
I plan on doing a few more blog updates during the week. There are a lot of memories and observations I want to post, and I'll be doing that at some point over the next couple days.
But now it's time to get ready for work.