Friday, October 16, 2009

Circling the Drain

Vickey has already put in her two cents about heading home, so I thought I'd do the same.
As strange as it may seem, it feels like we just got here. This has been such a whirlwind tour of so many places and so much history, that it feels like we've just gotten started. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. On the other hand, when I think back to our arrival at Newcastle at the end of September it feels like an eternity ago. It's very conflicting to have both those feelings at the same time. Come on a GSE sometime and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about.
Which brings me to my next point: if you ever see or hear of an opportunity to do something like a GSE, take it! This has truly been the experience of a lifetime. Not only have I learned so much about the things I knew I'd learn about, like healthcare and history, but I've learned so much that I didn't count on. Like what kind of people invite a stranger to come live in their house for a few days only to have to buy them dinner and tote them around and help them with laundry. I'll tell you what kind of people: a very special group of Rotarians, and I doubt I'll ever come across a group of people more generous and kind. Thank you to all our hosts for adopting us during our stay.
I miss my husband, I miss my birdies, and I miss my friends, so I'm grateful to be going back home. I'm also going to miss it here, and I'll miss the friends I've made along the way. I'll never forget this. Even when I'm 90 and in the grips of Alzheimer's, I'll still be wondering why I'd want pancakes after having bacon sandwiches.*
To my hosts, I offer you my eternal gratitude. To my teammates, I rejoice in the memories we share, and to the organizers of the GSE, I words can't express how indebted I am to all of you for this very special time in my life.

* this is how I found out what "flapjacks" are.